Here's all that you need:
- a jar with a tight fitting lid (mason jars work great)
- whipping cream (if you let it sit out for a while to take the chill off you won't have to shake as long)
- Fill the mason jar about 1/2 full with the whipping cream
- add some salt to taste (about 1/2 to 1 tsp)
- Put the lid on tight so that the cream doesn't leak
- and shake for about 10 to 15 minutes
- The cream will go through 3 stages while you are shaking. First it is all runny, then it thickens up into whip cream, and finally it separates into butter and buttermilk. When you hear a solid thunk, thunk, thunk as you shake you will know that the butter is done:
- Drain off the buttermilk (I saved mine and made delish buttermilk pancakes with it...recipe below).
- Enjoy your homemade butter...yum!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter